Transfer Advising FAQ's

Question: "How can I tell what classes have transferred in to UCSC?"

Answer: You can check this on your MyUCSC student portal.  Log-in and go to your "Student Center".  To the left of your current quarter schedule, there is a drop-down menu.  Click on this menu and select "Transfer Credit Report" and then click on the "Go" button.  

This will pull up a report of your transfer credits.  Some classes may show up as satisfying a GE requirement, others may show as satisfying the equivalent of a UCSC course, and others may simply show up as credit earned.  This report will also list any test scores reported to UCSC, such as, ACT, SAT, and AP scores.

  • Here are a few scenarios that may arise after reviewing your transfer credit report:
  • If you do not see a transcript from an institution that you attended, please ensure that you had your official transcript sent to Admissions prior to your arrival at UCSC.  
  • If you did not have your transcript sent to UCSC, you should send an official transcript to the Office of the Registrar, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA  95064. 
  • If you feel that a certain class should have counted for a GE requirement, you can submit the online Review of Transfer Credit.  
  • Double-check to make sure your C1 and C2 composition requirements are both satisfied.  If not, and you took composition courses prior to admission to UCSC, submit a Review of Transfer Credit.  If you did not take two composition courses prior to admission, please see your college adviser.
  • If you feel that a class should have satisfied a major requirement, please contact your major program adviser.

 The following link will give you greater detail about the "Transfer Credit Report":

Question: "How can I see what degree requirements I have already satisfied, and what I still have left to complete?"

Answer: There is a really helpful report on your MyUCSC portal that will show you all of your degree requirements.  It is called the Academic Advisement Report (AAR).  It is also located in the drop-down menu to the left of your current quarter schedule on your "Student Center" page.  Select the AAR and click "Go".

 The AAR report will include all general requirements needed to graduate (university requirements, general education, credits, percentage of passed courses).  If a requirement has been satisfied the section will be collapsed and a green triangle, when clicked, will indicate how the requirement was satisfied.  Unsatisfied requirements are indicated with a yellow warning sign and will be expanded with details on what you need to do in order to satisfy it.  The following link will give you additional, detailed information regarding the AAR:  Please note that some, but not all, major and minor programs are also represented in the report.

Question:  "I completed IGETC at a California Community College, but my AAR is indicating that I still need to complete GE requirements.  What do I do?"

Answer: So at this point, you have run your AAR and you have noticed that several GE requirements are not satisfied but you know that you completed IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum). You need to contact the last community college that you attended and have them send your IGETC certification to the Office of the Registrar, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA  95064.  If you are uncertain if you finished IGETC, you may contact your community college as well.  

Once UCSC has received and processed your IGETC certification, then your GE requirements section on your AAR should be collapsed indicating that you have satisfied all GE requirements at UCSC.  You can click on the green triangle in order to see how you satisfied the GE's and the report should read "IGETC or UC Reciprocity".  The UC Reciprocity would apply to you if you transferred from another UC and had satisfied all of your GE's before transferring to UCSC

We hope that these FAQs have been helpful. If you need further assistance and advice after reading this, please don’t hesitate to contact us for help! You can find our contact info here. ~ Stevenson Advising