Vision, Mission & Diversity Statements
The Stevenson College Advising Office vision is to empower students of all backgrounds to utilize the full range of resources and opportunities at the University of California, Santa Cruz, in order to enrich their personal and intellectual growth. We envision an advising office that creates a positive climate of respect and cooperation between adviser and student. This relationship will help maximize their academic experience and broaden their sense of possibility for a future productive life.
The Advising Office facilitates the enrollment and progress of Stevenson College students toward completion of baccalaureate degree requirements by:
- Encouraging students to develop meaningful educational plans that are compatible with their life goals.
- Providing accurate and timely information to assist students in making informed educational decisions.
- Viewing academic advising as an opportunity to teach students to use campus publications and resources independently in order to navigate their own way through a complex bureaucracy.
- Recognizing that the individual student has the ultimate responsibility for making decisions about life goals and educational plans; the academic adviser helps to identify and assess action plans and their consequences and, when appropriate, serves as an advocate for the student.
- Presenting proactive programs and information responsive to the dynamic college and University environment in which we function, and supporting the Stevenson College Statement of Principles.
The Advising Office services are conducted with an appreciation for and awareness of the differences that certain populations of students bring to the college. We recognize that students may encounter unique challenges in higher education because of race, gender, age, social class, sexual orientation, and physical ability. The Stevenson College Advising Office is committed to removing the barriers that can prevent members of underrepresented groups from completing their baccalaureate degree in a timely and efficient manner.